The Olympics Opening Ceremony is one of the world’s most watched TV events. It’s a production of epic proportions that creates a sense of fun, inspires athletes, and wows spectators. The entire world turns its attention to this international gathering—and it’s the perfect chance for the host city to shine.
So what does London have in store for us?
• Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire and 28 Days Later) is the creative director behind the big production. He has enlisted thousands of performers and dozens of workers to make sure the magic happens on July 27.
• The most important symbol of the Games is the carrying of the Olympic flame and lighting of the cauldron. The name of the holder remains a mystery and everyone is waiting to see which British athlete or celebrity the honor will go to.
• In compliance with Olympic tradition, the parade of athletes will enter the Olympic Stadium in alphabetical order. The exceptions to this rule are the Greek team—entering first—and the British team—entering last.
• Following speeches by gold medalists Sebastian Coe and president of the International Olympic Committee Jacques Rogge, the games will be declared open by Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
• A reported 10,000 people will be part of the opening ceremony, entitled “Isles of Wonder.” Inspired by Shakespeare’s The Tempest, it will feature an opening sequence with a rural vision of Britain, complete with a parade of real animals!
• Only an iconic performer could close this event on the proper note. Sir Paul McCartney—who has conquered fans in every corner of the world—is expected to be one of the greatest moments of the night.
This Opening Ceremony promises to be unforgettable and we know you can’t wait! DIRECTV brings you all the excitement from Olympic Stadium on July 27 at 7:30 p.m, on NBC.